Were You Injured in a Dog Attack?
Rely on Our Experienced Hartford Dog Bite Attorneys
Families across Connecticut have dogs as loyal pets. These animals are often loving members of those families, but circumstances can lead to dangerous situations. Misbehavior, negligence or tense moments involving a dog can lead to injuries. This is when our Hartford dog bite attorneys can help.
At Walsh Woodard LLC, we have experience handling cases that involve dog attacks. Injuries resulting from these incidents are often worse than many individuals realize. This is why you need experienced help to get the compensation you deserve.
What Should I Do After a Dog Bite?
Though dogs are popular pets thanks to their loyalty and companionship, they can also be dangerous. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 4.5 million dog bites happen every year. If you are ever bitten by a dog, here are the steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment Immediately. Dog bites are often underestimated, leading the injured to avoid medical treatment. This is a mistake. Dog bites can result in sickness, amputation or death.
- Keep a Record. In addition to any medical records that result from your injury, take some pictures. Note what dog bit you, who the owner is and where the dog lives. This documentation can help in future proceedings.
- Avoid Talking to the Insurance Company First. Many homeowner insurance policies cover dog bite injuries. However, these companies often try to avoid paying out full compensation. This means they could offer you a lowball settlement. This is another reason why you should talk to an attorney first.
- Contact a Hartford Dog Bite Attorney. The experience offered by a lawyer can help you get proper compensation for your injuries.
Why Do I Need a Hartford Dog Bite Attorney?
As mentioned before, the experience of an attorney can help you receive proper compensation for your damages and injuries. Insurance companies are only interested in their bottom line. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney knows their tricks and can help negotiate a fair settlement.
A dog bite injury attorney can also help you deal with the authorities and property owners. This is especially important if any of these individuals are your neighbors. Our services can help you deal with these issues while you concentrate on recovering from your injuries.
What Are Common Dog Bite Injuries?
The unique structure of canine teeth often causes tears and jagged lacerations. This means healing after suffering dog bite injuries can be difficult. These injuries can also develop into medical conditions such as:
- Infections. The microbes present in the mouth of a dog can lead to many infections. If the dog is in poor health, it could even transmit the deadly rabies virus. Treatment for this infection can be extensive and painful.
- Mobility Issues. A strong dog bite has the potential to sever muscle, ligaments and tendons. These connective tissues enable us to walk, move our arms and fingers. Once damaged, these body parts can have a tough time healing. In some instances, these injuries may not completely heal, leaving you with a permanent disability.
- Disfigurement. Due to the nature of a dog bite, you may have severe scars after recovering. These scars can affect the function of your limbs or may be painful. In the case of scars on the face and neck, social and emotional distress may occur.
- Psychological Conditions. Often, a dog attack can result in serious emotional distress. It can manifest a fear of other dogs and shame due to disfigurement or PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Other symptoms include panic attacks, depression and flashbacks. These conditions can affect both adults and children and require professional help to treat.
Who Is Responsible if a Dog Attacks?
According to the laws of Connecticut, the owner or keeper of the dog is liable for any injuries the animal causes. This is a strict liability statute that does not require plaintiffs to prove the dog’s owner or keeper was negligent or knew that the dog was vicious. However, there are exceptions to the rule, and things can become even more complicated when insurance companies get involved.
Still Have Questions? Get Help From Our Hartford Dog Bite Attorneys
Dealing with a dog bite injury is both complex and taxing. While you are recovering from your injuries, filing a lawsuit may prove impossible. In situations like this, you can rely on Walsh Woodard LLC for help. Our lawyers have handled matters involving dog attacks before. We have the knowledge you need to deal with the circumstances surrounding your case. For a free consultation, call (860) 549-8440.